Thursday, March 31, 2011

rum find: Saratoga

The SODO (South of Downtown) Liquor Store is the one liquor store in this State-controlled, Prohibition-minded place they call Seattle where I can actually discover new rums.  Today--yay, payday!--I went on the hunt.  First new discovery was Saratoga, a "Virgin Islands" dark rum.  I can't find out much about the distillers; the label says it's imported by Richards Co., Weston, Missouri, but online it's attributed to McCormick Distilling, tho' their web site doesn't mention it.  What I do know is that it on sale it only cost $11!

I sipped it straight first.  It's not that dark--more amber than black.  It's dominant flavor and scent is almond.  Zanne suggested it would work well in a Cuba Libre, so Coke and lime it was.  Oddly, the flavor of the rum completely vanished.

Then the nutty flavor's purpose became obvious.  Saratoga Rum, Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate Bitters, and ginger ale.  I like candy-bar cocktails, I'll be honest.  But there's more to come from this rum; it's a mixing rum, not a sipping rum, and that means exploration...

No comments:

Post a Comment